Wednesday 2 June 2010

Fruit Cake

We recently moved house and got a new oven - joy!!

Our previous gas oven was designed for cooking Chinese style duck with the rotisserie attachment and very little else - it had a fierce set of burners at the top and bottom and a completely arbitrary 'temperature' scale on the front. In reality it only had two temperatures very hot and cold.

My previous attempts at lovingly baking things for the family resulted everything being crispy on the outside and raw in the middle which is not an ideal state for any sort of baked goods.

Very, very excited by the new oven I dug out my mum's 1974 Dairy Cookbook and made a (if I may say it myself) fantastic fruitcake. I dropped the nuts from the recipe because of the choking hazard they present and once it had cooled I couldn't wait to offer the boy a slice.

I'm happy to report it can be added to his list of likes, he rarely drops any and mmmmm's and laughs as he works his way through his portion.

He probably doesn't neeeeeed cake at this age but it's so much fun to watch him enjoy it and much better a homemade one than something storebought, I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment